Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Frosty the Snowman was a Jolly Happy Soul


Though there’s snow-a-plenty this year, bringing snowmen inside isn’t exactly the best of plans—I haven’t found a way yet to keep them from melting and making a mess. So this trio of chums is a happy replacement that can be put out for years to come.

The thing I love about these little guys is that, for blocks of wood, they really have a lot of personality! I wish I could take the credit for these but we did them at a Super Saturday for church so I’m just passing the idea on to you.

Since I own a saw (I realize a lot of people do not), I cut the blocks of wood myself so that I can determine the sizes that I want. I’m not certain if you can buy scraps of wood or have them cut it for you at Lowe’s or Home Depot but it’s worth asking about because these guys are worth it. If anything, you never know when you may need a hand saw so pick up a cheap one for five dollars. : )

Wooden Snowmen

Materials and Supplies:

~ 2 x 4 wood blocks at various heights

~ Material

~ White paint

~ Newspaper for easy clean up

~ Black, orange, pink paint

~ Buttons

~ Hot glue gun

Directions:

1. Cut the 2 x 4 wood to various heights. Remember, if you make them too tall they’ll be wobbly. Mine are about 12”, 9”, and 5”

2. Paint them white and let dry.

3. Paint a sweet little face. Don’t forget the carrot nose and eyebrows!

4. Cut the material for the hats. Since the blocks of wood are all 2 x 4, the material should be about 14” wide and about 6” tall. Roll up the bottom edge (for a little brim) and glue to the front of the wood block over the face making sure there’s an overhang at the top to gather the material to tie off the hat. Glue around the block in different places making sure it’s secure.

5. At the back, fold over one side (like you would to make a package look nice) and glue in place.

6. Cut off a strip of material, either from the same material or contrasting, and tie off the hat close to the wood. Fluff the top so that it looks nice and pretty and warm.

7. Glue on buttons.

8. Cut a bit wider strip for a scarf and tie it around the snowman’s neck.


Extra idea?

The more the merrier! Have a big family? Make one for every member of the family! Think of how cute a little baby block snowman would be!

No comments:

Post a Comment